Saturday, March 19, 2011

Nemesis Socks


Nemesis sock
Finished my Nemesis socks.  They were started some time ago when I found a skein of commercial alpaca I had picked up somewhere (you know--stash!) and thought I would love to have socks from it.  Then I read the pattern from Knitty.com that was called Nemesis and the two clicked in my brain.  The idea of carrying the pattern down the heel was intriguing.  The funny thing is, I love making socks  (two at a time on one circular--the Magic Loop method), but when it comes to something like the sweater I made for my sister, the excitement of commercial yarn and following a pattern pales after I grasp the concept.    Socks are the only patterns with commercial yarns that I find any pleasure in knitting.  The problem was, I would do one and then the excitement of the pattern was over and I never wanted to do the second.  Plus, they never came out the same.  First I taught myself how to do two at a time on two circulars, then mastered the Magic Loop method. The time it takes to make them is probably the same for me if I were still doing it on double points, but the relief of having them both done at the same time is immeasurable. 
I put Kid-Setta in the heels & toes
 The next pair will be toe up from Melissa Morgan-Oakes book Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks. The pattern "Simplicity" seems like a good bet to use with the yarn I have in mind.  The yarn is some self striping I got on sale from Stitchy Women a while back.  Unless I decide to knit them with the varigated pastels that look sort of like baby colors.  I thought the pastels would be summer like.
Today is Maplefest day in Poultney.  It should be a good day for the sugar makers as the weather is perfect for production.  Jeff is on his second boiling now.  So far he has made 1 1/2 quarts.  This lot is very dark.  I don't think we are going to have any light syrup this year.   Which is o.k. with us.  I think I will head down to the pancake breakfast and do a little shopping at the places that are having bag sales.  Oh, did I mention that the Yarn shop is among those places??

No comments:

Post a Comment