Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns, Eskimimi Challenges 2KCBWDAY1


Right now I am in the mood to have my mind given a good shake up. When I read about this challenge, I knew that it would be a good thing for me to do. We shall see!
Little balls of yarn
Being a handspinner, I have made my share of good and not so good yarn. Lately, one of my favorite yarns is actually only half mine. The other half is kitchy fun yarn. This is the yarn I have previously spoken of, the funky stuff I wind into little balls with my handspun. I found that it is a good way to use up bits and pieces of stash. I use these in a shawl that is a perfect showcase for this yarn. The ironic thing about this is that when I was introduced to "making" yarn this way, I totally rebelled, as it seemed so wrong, somehow. Now I love to do it with my left over oddments, but I still only use it for my lacey shawls.

Finished shawl
One of my 'not so good' yarn experiences was the yarn I was going to use for my warp. Now there was really nothing wrong with this yarn, it just did not live up to my expectations. And then I didn't like it because it was far more muted than I wanted it to be. However, it is making up into a nice scarf.

Beginning of a scarf

The sad part of today is that I have another hen in the Critical Care Unit, aka the Bathroom.  It is Buffy (the Vampire Slayer).  She is one of my original hens of unknown age.  I am not sure if this is the same ailment as befell my Little Red Hen, or something else, but thought she had better be isolated from the others and kept warm.  I am not hopeful about the outcome, as she is not drinking water.  Always a Bad Sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment