Friday, August 19, 2011

Vacation!!

Sunrise over the Lake on the Cape
Am getting ready to go on vacation with my sister-in-law, Pam.  She and I used to take our kids camping every summer as soon as school was out.  First it was locally, then we went to a wonderful place in Maine.  But eventually all the children grew up.  So the first year with no kids we went bed and breakfasting in Maine.  That was lots of fun.  We actually haven't been off together for a couple of years--the last time we were at her cousin's place on Cape Cod.  It is an "on a lake" place, not an "on the ocean" place.  Still, the ocean is not far from anywhere on the Cape.
The cottage
This time we are going to her family cottage on Scituate Harbor.  I haven't been there since 2007, so I am looking forward to it.  It is still a very rustic cottage, with very few amenities.   A bathroom with a wonderful old claw foot tub and a makeshift shower.   Narrow stairs, bunk beds, one open room downstairs.  It is still very much a summer cottage, unlike most of the places around it.  Those have all been winterized, enlarged, reworked and generally made into showplaces.  I think I like the old place, better.
We always find lots of things to do when we are out and about.  I am looking forward to lots of knitting time, as she will be driving.  That and eating good things.  We like to visit bakeries and candy shops!  The smell of the ocean, looking at birds, sleeping in til 6:30, drinks on the porch at night.....Oh ya, I'm ready!
View from the porch


No comments:

Post a Comment