Thursday, February 23, 2012

Funny February

Well, last year at this time the weather was somewhat different,  and I was complaining then.  And I am going to complain now!!   No snow is as frustrating as too much.  I definitely have all the earmarks of cabin fever, without actually being home bound.  The problem with having it look so inviting outside with the bare ground and mild temperatures is that once out of doors there is nothing to do.  Unless you are a syrup maker.
Jeff has a new set up for his syrup production which enabled him to tap more trees this year.  He is very happy with it, although it has taken a bit to work the kinks out.  These last few nights have not gone below freezing, so that will impact the sap flow for a bit.  And it is early for sugaring as it is mostly in March that we get the long run of cold nights, warm days.  However almost every sugar maker has tapped at this point so that they are all in it together.
Boiling away
It is always a gamble to know when the best time is to tap.



Lest you think that all I have been doing is sitting around eating bonbons and reading novels, let me assure you that I have been busy.
I am in the process of spinning some black alpaca that I carded with some black merino.  I am thinking that this is going to be a warp for another scarf with color counterpoints.  I haven't decided on the pattern or weft yarn at this point, but I want to be ready when inspiration strikes.













I finished a shawl I have been working on that was a kit, won as a door prize.  It was only exciting to knit in the beginning when I did the drop stitch edging.  After that it was long time of knitting a rectangle.  Not exactly challenging, but good for my visits where I didn't want to be looking at any directions.

I am still working on my cabled sweater.  I also have a pair of socks on the needles.  It is a case of knitting "fraternal" as opposed to "identical" socks.  This is a concept I learned from Brenda Dayne and I love it.  I also did the toes of this pair using her Sherman Method.  It was really super---I think I will probably use this way often.  I just have to relearn how to do an invisible cast on.  Or learn to do it.  The very simple pattern for the socks is so easy that I keep messing it up.  Hopefully by the time I get to the leg I will have it down!  The pattern is called "Uzu" and although I did a different toe, I think I will do the heel as written.
And so February works through itself.  The days are brighter, longer and wierdly warmer.  The chickens are laying lots of eggs.  It must be a response to the lengthing days.  They sure love running around the yard, even if there is a dusting of snow.   Go, chickens, go!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have indeed been busy! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the spun alpaca/merino, I imagine it is very silky to the touch. Thanks for the chicken picture, you know I enjoy seeing the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the merino roving was not as soft as I expected it to be, but I think it is old and dusty. I have high hopes it will be just as it should be once the yarn is washed. How are coop plans coming?

      Delete