Thursday, August 23, 2012

Slipping Out of Summer

The summer is certainly slipping by at an alarming rate.  The children in our town are all going back to school next week.  In the old days, that was always a hard time for me as I loved having them home all day.  It was such fun to shed the rigid schedule that school imposed on us.  And I loved the break, from, of all things, packing lunches everyday!  However, the reality was that by this time we were all ready for the routine again that we were so eager to escape.  Annie was the only one who never wanted to go ---not even to see her friends.  I don't think she ever liked school at all until she reached college.
Annie, where she'd rather be than school


Mama Hen did not produce any chicks.  Shortly after the last post I had to put her back into the cage as another hen was trying to lay her eggs in Mama's nest.  Once in the cage she abandonded the remaining egg and after two days of sitting on nothing at the back of the enclosure she was ready to rejoin the flock.  My next dilemma in the chicken world is that I have discovered that "Baby", who always is hanging around the nest boxes, yet never apparently laying, has actually been eating the eggs she finds. So!  As this Will Not Do, the only recourse is The Pot.  She never appears to lay, avoids the rooster like crazy and is the lowest in the peck order, consequently, The Pot seems my only option.  Or clipping her beak, which I do not intend to try.


Had a quiet day at East Poultney Day.  The rain held off until the afternoon, but it was so hot and sultry that not many people were out and about.  The good part of the day was that I was contacted by a young woman about doing a spinning demonstation at a two day sheep dog trial.  This will be September 8 and 9 at Merck Forrest.  It's exciting to me as I love to talk about the craft, its importance in the past and its place in the future.  I have never done a solo thing before this.  It is an exciting challenge.  Fortuately I am almost done spinning my warp for the wedding present and will be able to concentrate on getting ready for Merck.

Jeff's garden 
Now comes the lull before the storm of tomatoes and garden produce.  It has been dry enough that things were slow coming.  Just enough to keep eating fresh.  Soon, very soon, all that will change and I will be busy canning and freezing.  Which is another whole creative process I enjoy.  Eat  your veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment